French Immersion

Designed for students whose first language is not French, this bilingual education program is open to students who live in the eastern end of Parkland School Division. École Broxton Park School provides programming for students from Kindergarten to Grade 9. Graduates of the program can participate easily in French conversations, move on to take French Immersion courses in high school, take post-secondary courses with French as the language of instruction, and accept employment with French as the language of work.

Who Can Enrol?

École Broxton Park School's French Immersion Program is available for students who enter Kindergarten or Grade 1 (Early Entry). For students who wish to enter after the Grade 1 year, acceptance into the program will be made on a case-by-case basis. For the first three years of the program, teaching is in French only. Then, from Grades 3 to 9, English Language Arts is taught for approximately one hour per day. In Grades 7 to 9, 60% of courses are offered in French, while the remaining 40% can be instructed in English.

Benefits of French Immersion

The French Immersion Program is open to all students. If you want your child to develop proficiency in Canada's two official languages, and to learn about another culture, French Immersion has a great deal to offer. Children benefit from learning in two languages - their thinking and reasoning skills improve, and English language skills are enhanced.

Many parents also believe that French Immersion will give their child additional career opportunities. We live in an increasingly global economy, so proficiency in more than one language will be an advantage for career development and will give students a competitive advantage in the job market. 

English Language Skills in French Immersion

One of the questions parents often ask is whether their child's progress in English or other subjects will suffer by being in French immersion. While there may be an initial lag in some English skills in the early years, immersion students rapidly catch up to students in English programs, suggesting that they transfer many of their language skills from French to English. By the end of Grade 6, immersion students have comparable English language skills to their peers in English programs. 

Parents and French Immersion 

"If I don't speak French at home," many parents ask, "how can I help my child in French Immersion?" The French Immersion Program is designed for children of non-French speaking parents. Your involvement and support for your child's education is one of the most important things you can do to make sure your child is successful in school - that's true no matter what program your child is taking. Reading to your child regularly in English is one important role you can play.