The academic portion of the Grade 6-9 program is held at École Broxton Park School in Spruce Grove.
In many ways, the academic portion of the French Immersion-PSAA will resemble a regular French Immersion classroom experience: students will have dedicated classroom time for each of the French Immersion core subjects (Language Arts, Social Studies, Mathematics and Science) in the morning. All French Immersion core subjects are scheduled in the morning in order to allow French Immersion students to participate in afternoon PSAA sport-specific training.
In order to accommodate the schedule requirements of PSAA, French Immersion-PSAA student athletes will complete English Language Arts through the Virtual Learning program at Connections For Learning. Benefits of Virtual Learning include:
- Flexibility - Integrate your education into your lifestyle.
- Location - Learn from anywhere with an internet connection.
- Pace - Adjust the pace at which you move through the Alberta Curriculum to meet your needs.
- Content - Access, play, pause and repeat engaging lessons at your convenience.
- Collaboration - Work with our staff to create a personalized plan that suits you.
- Communication - Get the guidance you need from your teacher in real time, or at a time that works for you.
- Connection - Connect with your teacher through a user-friendly and tool-rich Learning Management System.
- Community - Interact with other students and staff in small groups or one-on-one.
- Choice - Demonstrate your learning in a variety of different ways.
- Feedback - Receive grades and comments on your progress in a timely manner.
French Immersion students will be centralized and supervised by a teacher while they complete their ELA learning. At the same time, French Immersion-PSAA will also be supported by a second ELA teacher (virtually) who will mark assignments and provide feedback regarding their work. In alignment with their sport-specific training schedule, students will have two whole afternoons every six days to work on ELA. Please reference the French Immersion Program Schedule for more details.
Due to the flexibility of learning ELA through Virtual Learning, families can request to do this course on their own time outside of school hours in order to participate in Sports Science and Total Athlete Development. We ask that families complete the Parent Declaration Form to inform us of their desired level of participation in Sports Science and Total Athlete Development.